[CentOS] Current RHEL fragmentation landscape

Tue Jul 25 22:52:17 UTC 2023
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 2023-07-25 12:18, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com> said:
>> If Red Hat were doing development in RHEL minor releases that wasn't
>> published elsewhere, I would probably have a different view of
>> thing, but they aren't.  There's nothing there that isn't published
>> elsewhere.
> This will not be the case for the second half of a RHEL major release
> life cycle, because the corresponding Stream will be EOL and no longer
> updated.

As best I understand Red Hat's "upstream first" policy: every patch
applied to RHEL X.10 will either be a patch that they import from an
upstream project, or (for patches that Red Hat develops) will be offered
to the upstream project.  They're not held in reserve for RHEL customers
exclusively.

So, they may not appear in the Stream git repo, but the patches are
still publicly available through other channels.

If anyone has examples of this not happening, then we can talk about
whether the process is working as intended, and what that means.