Subject: Re: [Centos] Release of centos-3.3 ISP bill
From: "Petr \"Qaxi\" Klima" <[email-masked]>
To: "Greg M. Kurtzer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:56:24 +0200

>So our mirror list sorta accomplishes the same thing. These were hits though
>from mirrors, and from people hitting or syncing to mirror.caosity.org which
>is a rrdns pool of mirror servers that we maintain.
>
>  
>
>>Thanks to you and all the other folks who make it possible for us to lurk
>>the lists and utilize your work product.
>>    
>>

Just  an idea

in release of CentOS-3.3 in packages yum and centos-yumconf there is 
(centos-)yum.conf file with souch content:

for repositories
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos-3/*

as I see from this:
# host mirror.centos.org
mirror.centos.org has address 69.93.142.19
mirror.centos.org has address 69.93.26.26
mirror.centos.org has address 69.57.175.50

So it means ALL trafic goes to centos.org

there are two question:

1. Why not put into (centos-)yum.conf file more mirrors
(from http://www.centos.org/download/mirrors Tier1) ?

like
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos-3/*
            <>http://ftp.gui.uva.es/sites/caosity.org/*
            ftp://ftp.gui.uva.es/sites/caosity.org/*
            http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/caosity/*
            ftp://ftp.belnet.be/packages/caosity/*
            http://archive.cs.uu.nl/mirror/Linux/cAos/*
            ftp://ftp.cs.uu.nl/mirror/Linux/cAos/*
            http://wftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/cAos/*
            ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/cAos/*
            http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/cAos/*
<>
and because (man yum.conf) "failovermethod defaults to roundrobin if not 
specified" it will "spread" bandwith to 10 mirrors (I know some of them 
are the same sites, in real world it will be fixed) with 
mirror.centos.org only one of them.

I will cut mirror.centos.org bandwith to 1/10.

2. or make the same DNS voodoo as to mirror.centos.org but make it work 
for others sites too, but id will be dificult bacause of diferences in URL

If it sounds reasonably I can makeit, test it and it can be send as an 
CentOS specific update ...

          Petr KLIMA