[Arm-dev] Xen on Cubieboards

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Aug 12 12:24:27 UTC 2014

On 08/12/2014 07:52 AM, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2014, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> Dr. Jon Crowcroft over at Cambridge (an old IETF friend), just told me
>> that they have a XEN port to the Cubieboard.
>>
>> If that is of interest to anyone here, I plan on getting more
>> information.  I have never entered into the world of virtualization
>> (other than VM on old IBM iron), but might give it a try. Particularly
>> if Jon gets one of his students to help me along...
> Hello Robert,
> if you mean Cubieboard2 or Cubietruck (AKA Cubieboard3), they are both
> supported by Xen on ARM, so upstream Xen should be able to run on them
> without modifications:
>
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Allwinner

I asked Jon, and he said, "basically yes".  Sounds like this student did
the port and contributed the code.

It is just thinking of virtualizing in ONLY 1Gb of memory; how many VMs
can you run and get anything done?

:)

Coming from a guy who did FORTRAN program development on a PDP8 with 4K
of memory...