[Arm-dev] Getting started / Build machines

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jul 30 14:17:42 UTC 2014

On 07/30/2014 10:05 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On 2014-07-30 14:34, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> If I better understood the build process, I would spend the $100 for
>> another Cubie if needed.  Going to have to get another one for the
>> server anyway.  Thing is will the C2 with 1GB memory be enough, or the
>> Ctruck with 2GB memory?
>
> For what purpose/workload? If it is for building packages, when I
> built RedSleeve I used 512MB Sheeva/Guru/Dream Plug machines. As
> long as you attach plenty of swap on reasonable media (don't use
> USB sticks or SD cards, their random-write performance is
> _terrible_) it'll be fine. More RAM will help speed things up
> for sure but it isn't necessary.

How do you 'attach plenty of swap'?  Attaching an SATA drive is easy for
me and I can format it anyway I need, but how do I point swap to it?

> If you are asking for some kind of a server workload, it depends
> on the workload. For example, redsleeve.org runs in a 2 GHz armv5tel
> Marvell Kirkwood with 1GB of RAM (QNAP TS-421).

Thought so.  My C2 would be more than enough, except maybe the mail
server.  But even it is not running all out.

> For a heavier workload you might want to look at something
> like the Cornfed Systems' Conserver (quad core ARM, 4GB of
> RAM, mini ITX form factor).

I am waiting to see what the Allwinner A80 will be like!

>> I have 2 production Intel servers that I
>> would be interested in replacing.  First my DNS server,
>> onlo.htt-consult.com.  All it runs is DNS; I would like to get DNSSEC
>> working at some point.  z9n9z is my mial server.  I built a C6
>> replacement for it, but still have not rolled it out.  Minimally I
>> would do a C7 build on the replacement hardware to check out all of
>> the components before trying this on arm.
>
> I wouldn't rush headlong into EL7 in production quite yet. Let
> the bleeding edge adopters sort out the the most obvious issues
> at least on x86 first.

Oh, no plan for sure!  Perhaps in late November based on Holidays and
conferences.  I mean this month is kind of open, but more for some basic
testing.  And some of my servers are still i686 so I have to wait on
that too.

And I would rather spend the money replacing them with armv7 and save
power than x86 and eat up more power!