[Arm-dev] Getting started / Build machines

Wed Jul 30 14:05:26 UTC 2014
Gordan Bobic <gordan at redsleeve.org>

On 2014-07-30 14:34, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> If I better understood the build process, I would spend the $100 for
> another Cubie if needed.  Going to have to get another one for the
> server anyway.  Thing is will the C2 with 1GB memory be enough, or the
> Ctruck with 2GB memory?

For what purpose/workload? If it is for building packages, when I
built RedSleeve I used 512MB Sheeva/Guru/Dream Plug machines. As
long as you attach plenty of swap on reasonable media (don't use
USB sticks or SD cards, their random-write performance is
_terrible_) it'll be fine. More RAM will help speed things up
for sure but it isn't necessary.

If you are asking for some kind of a server workload, it depends
on the workload. For example, redsleeve.org runs in a 2 GHz armv5tel
Marvell Kirkwood with 1GB of RAM (QNAP TS-421).

For a heavier workload you might want to look at something
like the Cornfed Systems' Conserver (quad core ARM, 4GB of
RAM, mini ITX form factor).

> I have 2 production Intel servers that I
> would be interested in replacing.  First my DNS server,
> onlo.htt-consult.com.  All it runs is DNS; I would like to get DNSSEC
> working at some point.  z9n9z is my mial server.  I built a C6
> replacement for it, but still have not rolled it out.  Minimally I
> would do a C7 build on the replacement hardware to check out all of
> the components before trying this on arm.

I wouldn't rush headlong into EL7 in production quite yet. Let
the bleeding edge adopters sort out the the most obvious issues
at least on x86 first.

Gordan