[Arm-dev] Cross Compiling vs Native Compiling

Mandar Joshi emailmandar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 08:52:33 UTC 2015

Hello everybody,
This part is mentioned in my GSoC proposal but I thought I should
bring it up here as well.

How do you feel about taking a slightly different approach to ARM
development? Viz. Cross Compiling. We could use existing
infrastructure x86,x86_64 servers to build packages for ARMv7.

This will require writing some plugins for Yum, Mock & Koji based on
work done by msalter from RedHat. I am referring to this post
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-buildsys-list/2009-July/msg00000.html

The way I see it, cross compiling will get packages compiled faster
and would be easy to setup. We won't have to rely of ARM Hardware from
online.net

A thing to ponder over is whether this fits in the CentOS policy.

Regards
Mandar Joshi