[Arm-dev] First impressions Re: armv7hl for Cubies

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Aug 17 15:58:21 UTC 2015

I got the Cubietruck image from:

http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/armv7hl/cubietruck/images/cubietruck-centos-image.img.gz

I had to decompress it first before dd it to my sd card (at least I do
not know an option for dd to process a .gz image).

So my first comment:

Can images be done with xzcat as Fedoraproject is using then it is a
'simple'

xzcat image.xz > /dev/sdb ; sync

Image booted fine, and via serial console, I set the root password. I
then created changed host name and created the user acct:

hostnamectl set-hostname fqdn
adduser -c "First Last" -G wheel user
passwd user

Then I went to move sshd to a port other than 22 and found that semanage
not in the build  :(

Next I checked the system time and saw it was 0.  Need sntp or such to
set the date/time as these boards tend NOT to have  clock batteries.

MAC address seems to be consistant across boots, but then as I recall
F19 worked this way, it was F21 where it broke and was fixed in F22
uboot.  This is important if you want to craft your MAC address to
control the IPv6 address created wth RA prefixes. Particularly useful if
you change a system and don't want to have to change your IPv6 address...

No WiFi, but none in F19.  I am months behind on Rawhide testing to see
what Hans has working these days.

No /var/log/messages; have to figure out how to turn this on,
particularly once I get this image to a sata HD that Cubie supports.
Along with logrotate.

No Apache to test out web access.  In fact no yum repos, but I think
that is what the earlier messages said, and perhaps no progress in this
direction.

https://github.com/mndar/rbf talks about based on F21.  I would like to
see that image, as well as the Cubie2 image mentioned.  I do not have
any worthwhile experience with github to quickly navigate around  (

So other than saying I got C7 up on my Cubietruck, I will need to find a
lot more before I can take the next step.

but thanks for what is available so far.