[Arm-dev] What's the best support hardware model ?

Gordan Bobic gordan at redsleeve.org
Tue Dec 1 13:07:35 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-01 12:59, PixelDrift.NET Sam wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 11:46 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at redsleeve.org>
> wrote:

>>> I believe the viridis platform has been discontinued for a few years
>>> now,
>>

>> Has it? I seem to recall getting RSEL6 running on it 4 years ago,
>> and it has had a refresh since then. If it has been discontinued
>> it must have been relatively recently.
>>
>> And decent ARMv8 hardware is not actually that easily available, at
>> least in UK. There's a lot of posturing and press releases but very
>> little actual hardware to show for it. And if you can ever find it
>> commercially it is disproportionately expensive for what it is.
>>
>> Gordan
>>

> My experience has been identical.
>
> There appears to be a lot of talk around ARMv8, but I have been unable
> to find any hardware at close to reasonable prices (keen for
> suggestions).
>
> I have been considering the Nvidia Shield while I wait for decent
> server hardware to turn up, can anyone provide feedback on this
> hardware?

If you don't mind it being in laptop form factor, the Samsung Chromebook
2
is really quite difficult to beat. I just got the 13" variant (had to
order it from US, it's not available in other markets), and I am
extremely
pleased with it (4+4 cores, 4GB of RAM, 1080p screen).

Of other for factors, the top of the line SolidRun Cubox is really good.

I have RSEL running on both so getting CentOS working on them should be
reasonably trivial.

Gordan