[Arm-dev] Supporting the Cubieboard2 and lots other boards as Fedora does

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Dec 16 22:03:14 UTC 2015

On 12/16/2015 04:49 PM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:

> On 16/12/15 22:06, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I kind of assumed that there would be a /usr/share/uboot/ dir with
>> all the u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin and I could just dd the
>> Cubieboard2 uboot with bs=1024 seek 8, but no such directory.  And
>> I can't find a Fedora-arm image that has the 2015-10 uboot.
>> Actually it would probably be in a Rawhide image, as F23 has
>> 2015-09 and current Rawhide has 2016-01.
>>
>> So in your next image, include all of the uboots, or a least a lot
>> more than none.  Then we can take the Fedora-installer (which is
>> now an rpm to install on a Fedora workstation, use to be a
>> downloadable zip.  Ask Paul Whalen, its author where it is these
>> days) and pretty much use it as is.
>>
>> At least point me to the Cubieboard2 uboot 2015-10 and I will give
>> it a test spin.
>>
>> And, yes RPi2 has its own set of differences...
>>
> I thought about including it, but as it's only used at image creation
> time, it's only on the builder node. But one can install it from
> Extras (when It will be released and so available directly) but only
> available now on buildlogs :
> http://buildlogs.centos.org/centos/7/extras/armhfp/Packages/uboot-images-armv7-2015.10-4.el7.noarch.rpm
> That package should contain everything you need I guess
>
> If that works, and that the single difference between the cubietruck
> image and the cubieboard2 is that uboot image, I can already respin a
> test image, and release to dev.centos.org if needed.

Back in the beginning of Fedora-arm22 (or was it 21?), I was the only
one with a Cubieboard2.  Hans built the uboot for me, and I just did a
Cubietruck install, then dd the C2 uboot and did firstboot, and was up
and running.  It supposedly is that simple...

The C2 is almost as good for a server and the CT.  Only a 100Mb eth (big
deal), and 1Gb memory.  Few other differences (like VGA) that are not
important for a server or can be worked around (HDMA-VGA adapter).  And
it is $15 cheaper!

See:

http://medon.htt-consult.com/~rgm/cubieboard/cubietower-3.JPG

Some in the tower run RSEL6, and some different ver of Fedora-arm.