[Arm-dev] What's the best support hardware model ?

Tue Dec 1 12:59:44 UTC 2015
PixelDrift.NET Sam <devnull at pixeldrift.net>

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 11:46 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at redsleeve.org> wrote:
> On 2015-12-01 12:36, Karanbir Singh wrote:

>>> ARMv7 server grade hardware does exist. It wasn't so long ago that
>>> I was helping the guys at Boston get RedSleeve 6 getting up and
>>> running on their Viridis servers:
>>>
>>> https://www.boston.co.uk/solutions/viridis/default.aspx
>>

>> I believe the viridis platform has been discontinued for a few years now,
>

> Has it? I seem to recall getting RSEL6 running on it 4 years ago,
> and it has had a refresh since then. If it has been discontinued
> it must have been relatively recently.
>
> And decent ARMv8 hardware is not actually that easily available, at
> least in UK. There's a lot of posturing and press releases but very
> little actual hardware to show for it. And if you can ever find it
> commercially it is disproportionately expensive for what it is.
>
> Gordan

My experience has been identical.

There appears to be a lot of talk around ARMv8, but I have been unable
to find any hardware at close to reasonable prices (keen for
suggestions).

I have been considering the Nvidia Shield while I wait for decent
server hardware to turn up, can anyone provide feedback on this
hardware?