[Arm-dev] Network fails Raspberry pi 2

Tue Dec 29 12:31:52 UTC 2015
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 29/12/15 08:23, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On 29/12/15 04:01, david wrote:
>> Folks
>
>> I've been having lots of problems with Centos 7 on Raspberry Pi
>> 2. The network seems to work for a while after a bootstrap, but
>> then dies.  The command systemctl restart network always fails.
>> This occurs after installation and updates.
>
>> I wonder of others have had this issue, or is my RPI2 defective?
>> It's connected to my internal network by a wire-connection to a
>> working Centos 6 gateway.  I posted the results of journalctl
>> earlier, so won't bother reposting.
>
>> Is this the right mail=list to detect if and when the issue is
>> addressed?
>
>> David
>

> Hmm, multiple people reported the same image running fine on the
> rpi2. Does that happen only after some intense network activity ?
> What does journalctl / /var/log/messages have to say about the
> issue ? Also, the default image doesn't use network , but
> NetworkManager, so systemctl status NetworkManager is the way to
> go, and not systemctl status network
>
> The network issue you seems to report rings a bell on my side, but
> not with the rpi2 board, and not with the centos 7 image. I had
> that issue with RedSleeve 6 running on my rpi1, and the fix was to
> change some default kernel parameter for that issue. Here is my
> ansible playbook snippet for that :
>
> - name: configuring kernel memory for network issue sysctl:
> name=vm.min_free_kbytes value=8192 state=present
>

> But that was for my rpi1 board, so don't think that it applies to
> rpi2 and kernel 4.1.11-v7+.
>
> Can you create a bug report on https://bugs.centos.org, so that we
> can track it there, and so that it can also appear publicly, in
> case other people would have the same issue (my rpi2 board is
> running for quite some weeks now without a glitch, but haven't
> really transferred a lot of data through the ethernet interface
> either)
>
> Kind Regards,

So, just to add that , without any change to the the rpi2 CentOS 7
userland image, I've downloaded 100 times the
CentOS-7-i386-LiveGNOME-1511.iso image (so 1.1GB * 100) on the rpi2,
from an internal mirror (rpi2 connected on a gbit switch), and no
network issue, even under high load.

I must even admit that the throughput I was able to get impressed me
(as the ethernet interface is just a smsc95xx USB 2.0 Ethernet one):
2015-12-29 11:38:18 (11.2 MB/s)

It would be interesting to have other informations about:
- - logs
- - which kind of traffic is that rpi2 getting (push/pull/both)

- --
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab