[Arm-dev] epel 7 noarch

Wed Dec 30 05:16:59 UTC 2015
Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>

> I am working up the rpms I need for my mail server.  A number of them
> I need from epel.  For example, amavis-new which is a noarch.rpm.
>
> So I was thinking for starters I would create a repo with just the
> noarch rpms and then see what I am missing that needs to be built
> specifically for armv7.
>
> I go to:  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
>
> and see that the install rpm is:
>
> https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm
>
> https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm
>
> Huh?  noarch?  what is going on here?

many release files I know of (epel, elrepo, nux-dextop, gf, even some of
the release files needed by CentOS SIGs) are noarch simply because they
contain nothing but a bunch of text files ( which in turn happen to
contain GPG sigs or repository definitions). If the repo definitions
files ( => the URLs) are also independent of the architecture ( by means
of using $arch or similar ), there is hardly anything needing to include
arch-dependent content, therefore ... noarch