[Arm-dev] Work in progress ARM v7 port

Howard Johnson merlin at merlinthp.org
Tue Feb 17 23:09:56 UTC 2015

On 17/02/2015 20:51, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Have you heard of RedSleeve? We've had an EL6 build for
> armv5tel for years now. All the patches that were required are on
> the wiki.

I have!  I found it a couple of years back when I was looking at OSes
for the Pi 1.

> Trust me, you don't want to do that kind of I/O on an SD card. It
> will take forever and kill the card in the process.

Completely agreed.

> AFAIK iSCSI and NFS won't work if you need swap (and you probably will
> need swap for at least some package builds). The kernel has had a
> long standing issue where it will sometimes try to swap out it's
> network stack, which will then cause it to be unable to unswap it
> back because it's been swapped out to a network device. I don't
> know if that has been fixed recently, but I haven't heard anything
> about it.

I've been running the ODROIDs with 4GB of swap each on an iSCSI device
since the first (failed) libreoffice build OOMed (as did xulrunner).
I've heard mutterings in the past of the risk of deadlocking the kernel
for the reason you mentioned, but it seems to be working pretty well so far.

--
HJ