[Arm-dev] Booting from sata

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Feb 19 14:41:52 UTC 2015

I noticed in a recent post to the u-boot list that Hans said that
booting from sata now works with the latest upstream uboot and 3.19 kernel.

So I asked him to clearify and he said that you still need the SD card,
but just for the uboot.  ALL partitions can go on your sata drive.

I further suspect that even I can figure out how to get the uboot to
NAND, so that no SD card is needed.  This might even be able to be
implemented in an install script that a lot of users can deal with.

And that is where we get past crawling to walking.  When you run a
script, only providing the location of the .xz file and your board, and
the install goes.  Well at least to the part where you have a bootable
drive to install into your system.