[Arm-dev] Work in progress ARM v7 port

Wed Feb 18 18:46:26 UTC 2015
Gordan Bobic <gordan at redsleeve.org>

On 2015-02-18 16:22, Fabian Arrotin wrote:

> On 18/02/15 16:08, Gordan Bobic wrote:

>>> As I've said to you repeatedly over many years, you are welcome
>>> to come join the CentOS effort, on various ARM platforms.
>>
>> I'm here, aren't I? All the heavy lifting for EL6 armv5tel and most
>> of it for EL7 has been done and all the patches have always been
>> published.
>>
>> Gordan
>
> <personal interest> that would be cool to see centos 7 working on
> raspi / arvm5tel :  I have two of those and having those running c7
> would be interesting :-) </personal interest>
>
> Gordan : have you used f19 or something else to bootstrap the armv5tel
> build ? I see packages on your ftp site for el5, but no image that can
> be used on my side as a start.

I believe Jacco used F18 to bootstrap the build. Not as easy as it
would have been with F19, but it worked out.

You can create the image yourself. Take a basic EL7 x86 system
(minimal install), grab the list of packages from that using:
rpm -qa | sed -e 's/-[0-9].*//' | sort -u > packages.list

You can then feed that to yum:
yum --installroot=/path/to/media `cat package.list`

Add a suitable boot loader configuration, kernel, initrd and
/lib/modules/ and you should be good to go.

It's not particularly newbie friendly, but it's not very
difficult, either.

Gordan