[Arm-dev] enough packages for a @core install ?

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Wed Jun 3 06:55:16 UTC 2015

On 02/06/15 11:07, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On 2015-06-02 02:23, cc35359 at gmail.com wrote:
>> I just read about the Google summer of code project in regards
>> to repacking/customizing arm 32 images, how does that effect what
>> we are looking to accomplish? I don't mind assisting in the
>> rootfs build (the right way), but I've never tried it in my 20
>> years of nix :-). I'm wondering if I use my pi image, chroot into
>> a new pqrtition and do the installs in that? That sounds easy,
>> but not sure if it is that easy.
>
> On the subject of images, it also occurs to me that it would make
> sense to standardise the image contents between CentOS and
> RedSleeve to keep them at least similar if not 100% identical.
>
> Gordan

That's a good idea, so we can discuss that.
My idea was to have "minimal" reflecting what we have for x86_64 (and
i686 now in beta !) for CentOS 7, so reusing the comps.xml and
installing @core. I've quickly done a test yesterday , and built an
initial test image through appliance-creator (thanks Howard for the
pointer !) but without "cleaning up" the comps.xml so it installed
some firwmare (noarch) files that aren't needed at all on the arm
platform.

It needed 706Mb on / (normal for @core), but we can reduce that.

I've only tested that image through qemu-system-arm and here are the
results :

uname -a ; rpm -q centos-release ; cat /proc/cpuinfo
Linux localhost 3.18.7-200.el7.0.1.armv7hl #1 SMP Tue Jun 2 10:18:14
UTC 2015 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux
centos-release-7-1.1503.el7.centos.2.7.armv7hl
processor	: 0
model name	: ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
BogoMIPS	: 695.09
Features	: half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpd32
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant	: 0x0
CPU part	: 0xc09
CPU revision	: 0

Hardware	: ARM-Versatile Express
Revision	: 0000
Serial		: 0000000000000000

Now if someone can have a look at the required bits for various boards
(my time is very limited actually, so just spending some "free" time
on armv7hl at the moment)

- --

gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab