[Arm-dev] enough packages for a @core install ?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jun 12 08:50:05 UTC 2015

>>> http://armv7.dev.centos.org/repodir/c7-pass-1/
>>> http://armv7.dev.centos.org/repodir/comps/
>>>
>>> The development code is on Github. You can try if it works for you. I
>>> have generated the images on Fedora 21 ARM running on the Cubietruck.
>>> I've tested generating images for Raspberry Pi 2 and Cubietruck. There
>>> is a provision in the RootFS Build Factory to extend support for boards
>>> using simple Bash scripts. But I'll not get into the details of that
>>> right now.
>>>
>>> The generated image has to be written to a microSD card using dd/dcfldd
>>> The README.md on github has everything to get you started.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/mndar/rbf
>>
>> I used RBF to generate a CentOS-7 image for the cubietruck and it works.
>>   Mandar, this is going to be a great GSoC project .. I am impressed with
>> RBF so far !!!
>>
>> I did the build using this Fedora 20 image from dl.cubieboard.org in the
>> nand:
>>
>> http://dl.cubieboard.org/software/a20-cubietruck/fedora/ct-fedora20-lxde-v2/
>>

>> File: fedora20-nand-lxde-vga.img.gz in the above link.
>>
>> My generated image is 4 GB is size.  1GB for swap, 2 GB for root
>> partition, 500MB for /boot
>
> Is swapping onto cheap SD card really a viable option? Would someting
> like zram be of more practical use?

This is a pre-alpha, proof of concept kind of image with unsigned
packages as they come out of the plague-servers .. not one to use in
production.  Really just a proof that this OS can boot on the device.  A
2GB root partition is also not very useful, so eventually a 5 to 5.5 GB
root partition should be created (which would, if we get this all
running in nand, be the limit with a 1GB swap and 500MB /boot).  One of
my goals with this was also to NOT break the other, bootable install in
rand.

There is various talk on the cubieforums as to whether the nand (on
board storage) is faster or slower than the SD Card storage.  I have not
run any tests at this point.

I don't even see the nand with an "fdisk -l" when this image is booted
from the SD card.

Hopefully some really smart people who have this device and know how to
use it can figure out what needs to be done to make this better.  I am
sure lots of time here:  http://linux-sunxi.org/LiveSuite_images  will
be required to get a nand image going.

Since the indicator lights (blinky lights :D) on the board are not
working, I am sure there are a couple of tweaks that can be made to the
kernel configs as well.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes