[Arm-dev] Current F22 uboot/kernel supports sata boot

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Mar 3 13:44:15 UTC 2015

But not a USB drive yet.

I tested booting from a USB drive.  I was using a 5v, .5A IDE drive on a
USB adapter.  Not enough power through the USB port on my Cubie even
with a 3A power supply to the powerplug.  I moved the drive to a powered
USB enclousure and there it was recognized but the boot still failed.
What I learned is that at the present time the necessary modules like
ehci_platform, ohci_platform, and phy_sun4i_usb are not yet in initrd.
But this is on the todo list, so sometime during the F22 development you
SHOULD be able to boot with all the partitions on a USB drive (with
enough power).

If someone knows dracut (replaced mkinitrd, I have been told) they may
be able to hack this together now if they can't wait until support is
done mainline.  I can wait, as I have sata on my Cubies.