[Arm-dev] Gigabyte MP30-AR0

Gordan Bobic gordan at redsleeve.org
Tue Apr 19 07:15:17 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-19 03:45, Ronald Maas wrote:
> I tried to rebuild the Debian 4.4.6 kernel with radeon driver, a
> slightly modified version of your xorg.conf, and applying the kernel
> patch as described in your post. But the result is a kernel panic.
>
> Kernel config file: http://pastebin.com/3usRTzex
>
> Kernel messages: http://pastebin.com/XssgxCFn
>
> Note when I inserted a SIIG PCIe SATA card or an nVidia GT 7800 video
> card, I got similar kernel panics, which is a bit concerning.
>
> At this moment it is not possible for me to determine if this is
> caused by a hardware problem in the motherboard, a firmware issue,
> some X-Gene driver that needs time to mature, or maybe I made a
> mistake when building the kernel. Hope it is the latter rather then
> the first.
>
> Appreciate any thoughts how to progress this. Thanks anyway

The kernel I am using is here:
http://ftp.redsleeve.org/pub/misc/aarch64/kernel-4.4.7-1.el7.nosrc.rpm
(add tarball from kernel.org)

This is near identical to the 4.4.6 version I was using before,
but with fixed up SELinux configuration. I haven't re-tested
PCIe add-in cards, but back when I was running 4.4.6 I, too,
was having issues with immediate kernel panics when the driver
for a SATA or SAS card loads (tested with SIL3132 SATA card,
and 3ware SAS card).

I never managed to get to the bottom of it, or re-test with
4.4.7. I can confirm that CentOS shipped 4.2.0 kernel works,
and the main difference is that that comes configured with 64KB
pages. So it could be that this masks the bug that makes the
kernel panic as soon as a PCIe card driver is loaded.

I haven't had a chance to file a bug report regarding this
on kernel.org yet.

Gordan