[Arm-dev] RPI-3 64-bit image (was: supported 64bit hardware)

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Tue Dec 6 20:20:29 UTC 2016

On 12/06/2016 12:44 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> While I can't promise anything yet, we should also have a patchset
>> coming that would enable 64bit support for the rpi3 for everything
>> except graphics. The upstream graphics driver isn't as stable as I'd
>> like so I'm looking at restricting that to console only for now.
>
> +1.
>
> The RIP3 has been a total disappointment for me. Its runs as slowly as
> a BeagleBoard, BananaPi or CubieTruck. I continuously run benchmarks
> against a HiKey, Pine64, ODROID-C2, RaspberryPi-3, BeagleBoard,
> BananaPi and CubieTruck

I'm not convinced that an aarch64 build will fix the speed issues. The
rpi3 doesn't have enough ram for 64bit allocation to make a difference.
It's mostly down to hardware design, for a board designed to be cheap.

> It also suffers obscure runtime crashes when attempting to compile
> with ARMv8 features, like CRC and Crypto.
>
> An Aarch64 image would be very welcomed.

Certainly plan on putting one together, but don't expect the aarch64
build to be a silver bullet.

--
Jim Perrin