[Arm-dev] How to chroot from x86 to arm?

mo.ucina

mo.ucina at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 07:35:33 UTC 2016

Hello Guys,

I have been doing centos package compiling on arm hardware for a while
now , and it has been going OK . One drawback is that some bigger
packages would run for 10hrs to compile . I would like to speed up that
process , and compile on a much more powerful machine . I tried
cross-compiling but ended up with issues when the arm package got
contaminated with i386 libraries no matter what I tired .

I also tried qemu VM running on my core2duo 4 core desktop machine .
This worked OK as packages were perfect , but it was slower to compile
than using  arm hardware . Same package that took 10 hrs on arm hw ,
compiled for 3 and a half days on the desktop .

My question is if I used a chroot approach to run the emulation will
this be quicker than a qemu VM . If so can anyone please share their
instructions on how to configure a chroot to run a centos 7 arm image on
a x86 desktop.

Best Regards

Milorad