[Arm-dev] Gigabyte MP30-AR0

Gordan Bobic

gordan at redsleeve.org
Mon Feb 22 20:08:46 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-22 17:29, Michael Howard wrote:
> On 22/02/2016 17:04, Gordan Bobic wrote:

>>> Yes, and no. It produces a bootable kernel.
>>
>> Right, but how does that kernel get booted?
>> u-boot -> kernel ?
>> u-boot -> UEFI -> kernel ?
>> u-boot -> UEFI -> grub2 -> kernel ?

>>> I haven't had the nerve to attempt to bun UEFI to SPI-NOR
>>> permanently,
>>
>> Oh, I wasn't suggesting that. I cannot think of a good reason to burn
>> UEFI into SPI-NOR vs. chain-loading it from u-boot, since the boot
>> cascade is automatable.
>>
>>> so following the install (and any subsequent ones) I've loaded it
>>> from
>>> u-boot manually and then booted directly from UEFI from there. I can
>>> of course automate that I suppose.
>>
>> Right, so post-install the boot process is:
>> u-boot -> UEFI -> kernel ?
>>
> Yes.

Sweet! Now I just have to try to scrape together enough to get
me one of those cometh pay day. :-D

>> No grub2 involved?
> No.

I'll see if I can do something about that when mine arrives. It
would be nice to have it working the same way x86 UEFI works.

On a semi-related note, is it possible to mount an armv5tel or armv7hl
image, and chroot into it? Does that work? Or is aarch64 not binary
backward compatible with 32-bit ARM binaries like x86-64 is?

Gordan