[Arm-dev] Gigabyte MP30-AR0

Mon Feb 29 16:17:19 UTC 2016
Gordan Bobic <gordan at redsleeve.org>

On 2016-02-29 15:51, Jim Perrin wrote:
> On 02/29/2016 09:20 AM, Michael Howard wrote:
>
>>> On a semi-related note, is it possible to mount an armv5tel or
>>> armv7hl
>>> image, and chroot into it? Does that work? Or is aarch64 not binary
>>> backward compatible with 32-bit ARM binaries like x86-64 is?
>> Just to let you know, I can't get this to work. aarch64 is supposed to
>> be binary compatible, with the correct libraries installed, but I'm
>> thinking the cpu isn't.
>>
>> All I get is 'cannot execute binary file: Exec format error',
>> regardless  of what I try.
>
> This isn't expected to work currently, no.

How come? I seem to recall that Nvidia until recently (if they aren't
_still_ doing it) shipped their Tegra K1 and X1 images with aarch64
kernels and armv7hl userspace, which means that this should work
just fine.

So in this case, what gives? Why does running armv5tel in a chroot
not work with aarch64 kernel?

Gordan