[Arm-dev] Network fails Raspberry pi 2

Fri Jan 1 06:47:02 UTC 2016
david <david at daku.org>

At 03:33 PM 12/31/2015, you wrote:
>On 1 ianuarie 2016 01:13:22 EET, david <david at daku.org> wrote:
>
> >In one of those Eureka moments, I believe I understand why my network
> >is failing.  Examination of the "journalctl" output led me to the
> >following:
> >  - Chronyd is a REPLACEMENT for ntp
>Right.
>

> >  - Running both of them at the same time leads to ntpd disabling the
> >ethernet link.
> >
>If this really happens, it looks like a bug to me. Neither of the
>two should modify the status of the link.
>

> >If I'm right, perhaps a note should be added into the Arm web page so
> >other dummies like me don't make the same mistake.
> >
>IMNSHO, if this behaviour is confirmed , it should be filed as a bug
>and fixed. Network status should under no circumstance depend on a
>time daemon, whatever that daemon would be.
>

> >For extra bonus points, I wonder if someone could answer the question:
> >- Is it OK to use chrony instead of ntp on Centos 6&7 on i386/x86_64
> >systems?  Should I change over?
>ntp (+ ntpdate) is standard in EL6. AFAIK it has been replaced by
>chrony in EL7. However chrony is also available (via EPEL if I am
>not mistaken -- I cannot verify now) for EL6.

New Years Eve Update
Having eliminated NTP from my configuration, survival time went from
20 mins to almost an hour.  But I'm still getting network fails, and
nothing in journalctl or /var/log/messages seems to point to the
failure.  Of course, "systemctl restart network" hard fails, and the
only way to restore network connectivity is a reboot.

Does anyone have a clue where I should look?  I can isolate the
failure to a 5-second window (I have another machine probing it every
five seconds), but see nothing in the aforementioned logs.  Any cluee?  anyone?

David