[Arm-dev] NXP more driver patches on LS2080 SoC

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Fri Jul 15 16:08:07 UTC 2016

On 07/15/2016 10:04 AM, Lijun Pan wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> This solution is not acceptable to me.
> You not only used "git apply", but also changed the commit message of the original patch,
> which explains you were quite diligent, not sloppy.

This is factually incorrect. Nothing in your patch was changed, only the
manner in which it was applied. Your patch to the spec file left off
some needed bits (the changelog and the release bump). Those changes
were made following the apply, and all lumped in the same commit, which
is the root of all this.

> Please use “git am *Lijun’s.patch”, "git rebase -i HEAD~5" and "git push —-force” to correct this error.
> After you do that, other users can update their git repo via “git remote update —prune;” to force a update.
> It does not change their commit content but their SHA.

And it forces them all to stop and fix it before continuing. That's the
problem I have with it.

> I think the author name changes is a very serious problem.
I agree, and it was quite unintentional.

> Almost nobody looks at the changelog of the .spec.
This is a dev vs ops perception. Most operators only see the changelog
which is provided and referenced in every copy of the binary. Devs
mostly see the git commits, because it's what they work with.

> What people cares is the author name in the commit message.
See previous.

> So I insist change it back to me (Lijun Pan) at the commit message not just add something in the .spec.

If there's a way to do it without requiring a '--force' I'm happy to,
but I won't break things further and impact the workflows for a others
in the process.