[Arm-dev] Raspberry Pi 3 and Aarch64 image?

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Tue Jul 26 23:23:12 UTC 2016

On 07/26/2016 05:18 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 26/07/16 22:08, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> I'm having trouble finding an Aarch64 image for a Raspberry Pi 3.
>> The Raspberry Pi 3 was selected as a test device because its
>> ARMv8.
>
>> Does Cent have any Aarch64 images for the Model 3?
>
> There is no ARMv8 support for the raspberry pi3 as far as I know,
> there are some efforts to try and get its bootloader (?) and display
> (?) which are 32bit only, mapped in - but most of those efforts seem
> to have stalled. My info might be a bit dated now, but I've not seen
> much change in that space since May this year.
>
> The RaspberryPi foundation folks have publicly stated that while they
> wont stop community doing the engineering to get the work done to boot
> a 64bit distro, they are not going to support the effort themselves
> nor actually participate in anyway.

It seems the community has gotten some work done to make this happen,
however we won't be able to support it out of the box, because of the
uefi requirement anaconda has. Our best hope of support on the rpi3 will
be a disk image similar to the instructions written by Uli here ->
https://github.com/umiddelb/aarch64/wiki/Install-CentOS-7-on-your-favourite-ARMv8-ARM64-AArch64-board

--
Jim Perrin