[Arm-dev] Raspberry Pi 3 and Aarch64 image?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jul 27 12:40:45 UTC 2016

On 07/27/2016 06:43 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 27/07/16 00:23, Jim Perrin wrote:

>>> There is no ARMv8 support for the raspberry pi3 as far as I
>>> know, there are some efforts to try and get its bootloader (?)
>>> and display (?) which are 32bit only, mapped in - but most of
>>> those efforts seem to have stalled. My info might be a bit dated
>>> now, but I've not seen much change in that space since May this
>>> year.
>>>
>>> The RaspberryPi foundation folks have publicly stated that while
>>> they wont stop community doing the engineering to get the work
>>> done to boot a 64bit distro, they are not going to support the
>>> effort themselves nor actually participate in anyway.
>
>> It seems the community has gotten some work done to make this
>> happen,
>
> Where is this work happening ? I cant seem to find any mention beyond
> 'the 32bit firmware cant boot a 64bit kernel, so there needs to be
> some magic in the kernel to switch, and noone is keen on doing that
> work' ( this is across many threads on the rpi site itself. Their own
> github issues seem to also be stalled with no real activity there.
>
>> however we won't be able to support it out of the box, because of
>> the uefi requirement anaconda has. Our best hope of support on the
>> rpi3 will be a disk image similar to the instructions written by
>> Uli here ->
>
> that should be fine, its how we ship the present rpi3 content, as a
> userland image that boots directly.

The issue really is that the raspberry pi people do not produce a pi
kernel or firmware in 64 bit at this time.  They are not expected to do
so officially either.

As KB said, we already use their (the pi project) kernel and firmware
(rebuilt by us) and our userland.  But they don't provide 64 bit versions.