[Arm-dev] TFTP issue with PXE loaded grubaa64.efi

Sakar Arora sakar.arora at nxp.com
Tue Jul 12 07:12:00 UTC 2016

Hi Jim,

While testing CentOS 7 installation on LS2080a RDB, only on one of setups, we found this strange issue, where grub wasn't able to TFTP the boot images from TFTP server. We use grubaa64.efi provided on CentOS website<http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/os/aarch64/EFI/BOOT/>.

>From the tftp server logs we found that the tftp transaction would always stop with a 'timeout' error. A quick search got me this bug<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1508893> logged in Ubuntu bug tracking system. There was a mention of a patch, which is supposed to fix this issue.

So, I went ahead and created a grub image with the latest upstream grub source code (git.savannah.gnu.org/grub.git).

Using this grub image, fixed the issue with TFTP transfers.

But, there's different kind of issue with this new grub image. It doesn't seem to be fully compatible with UEFI PXE boot protocol. When loading grub via UEFI PXE boot, the tftp server address does not get set in the grub environment variables, as was the case with grubaa64.efi from CentOS that we use.

Can you share you views on this?

Thanks,
Sakar