[Arm-dev] Gigabyte MP30-AR0

Gordan Bobic gordan at redsleeve.org
Sat Mar 5 11:57:11 UTC 2016

On 05/03/16 11:22, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 11:12:00AM +0000, Michael Howard wrote:

>>> As a warning to anyone else, that bricked mine.
>>>
>> Since your post yesterday? Did u-boot chainload UEFI ok prior to
>> attempting the permanent change?
>
> Chainloading UEFI worked (albeit tedious and slow and requiring a
> network connection).

Can you not chainload off local media? For example, a FAT partition is
needed for UEFI anyway, so is there a good reason it isn't possible to
put the UEFI image onto that partition (or any other partition that
u-boot can read) and chain load it from there? If so, I am struggling to
think of a reason why anybody would want to be booting UEFI straight
from the ROM instead of u-boot. I might save a couple of seconds off the
boot time, but u-boot is far more flexible and powerful than UEFI.

> I wanted to permanently get rid of u-boot because I want to see if we
> can turn these boards into real (SBSA/SBBR) server hardware that can
> run RHEL.

Would putting UEFI image for chainloading onto the SD card not fulfill
this requirement without the loss of flexibility incurred by losing the
1st stage u-boot loader?

> I'm just going through the SD card recovery procedure now -- section
> 2.7 of the Software Reference Guide.  Will report back ...

I hope it works out, please let us know.

Gordan