[Arm-dev] Gigabyte MP30-AR0, nomodeset, and retaining output on serial console

Chuong Tran cltran at apm.com
Fri Mar 18 03:18:26 UTC 2016

Hi Gordan,

If you want to retain the output on serial console, please add kernel
command "console=ttyS0,115200" at the grub config.
If you want to see the kernel boot at both serial and vga, add
"console=tty0" (for vga) along side with "console=ttyS0,115200". The output
from VGA will come after kernel configure the video card.

nomodeset does not help to retain serial output, it just means that you
want to use X drivers, instead of kernel modesetting.

Best regards,

Chuong.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 1:46 AM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at redsleeve.org> wrote:

> When the kernel boots and the fb driver initializes and the
> initramfs starts, the output disappers from the serial console.
> This seems to correspond to the display output switching to a
> different mode. It is present during u-boot, Tianocore and grub,
> however. Is there a way to tell the kernel to not change the mode
> so that full control via the serial line can be retained? I tried
> "nomodeset" which I think should do this by disabling modesetting,
> but it has been ineffective. Is there a way to achieve this?

Chuong Tran
Applied Micro - SW Engineer II
Phone: 84-932176910