[Arm-dev] Gigabyte MP30-AR0

Fri Mar 11 16:50:14 UTC 2016
Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 08:09:42AM -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 4:59 AM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at redsleeve.org> wrote:
> > These appear to finally be available in UK now:
> > https://www.xcase.co.uk/gigabyte-server-boards/gigabyte-mp30-ar0-with-appliedmicror-x-gene1r-processor.html
> >
> > Unfortunately, things don't work right out of the box:
> > https://www.mail-archive.com/users@lists.redsleeve.org/msg01274.html
> >
> > Has anyone got CentOS installer working with this board? £600 is an
> > awful lot to spend on a paper weight.
> >

> Related, the Lemaker Hikey dev board is a nice alternative for
> AMRv8/AARCH64. Its less than 1/4 of the price at $128 USD.
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CNZ9GIQ.
>
> 2GB RAM and 8GB eMMC makes it very amicable to development. I use it
> for testing OpenSSL and Crypto++ on real hardware.

I hope you're kidding.  The HiKey actually overheated and bricked
itself for a friend of mine after a few days (admittedly he was trying
to use it as a build server).  And 2 GB of RAM + all the u-boot
nonsense is useless for any serious server or virt task.

However LeMaker Cello - $299 for preorder now - is a reasonable
alternative for development.

I'm quite liking the Gigabyte now that I've got UEFI and RHELSA on it.
Having 32 GB of RAM and IPMI rocks.

Rich.