[Arm-dev] Silly question about expanding the root directory, wifi?

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Sun May 15 07:18:27 UTC 2016

On 13/05/16 18:46, Alan Corey wrote:
> I just wanted to confirm that this is a problem.  I have mostly 64 and
> 128 GB cards but I'll rob a 32 from a camera if it might work.
>
> I've tried it about 4 times and it always panics.  Last time I was
> connected by ssh from another box and did a cat of the instructions
> then copied and pasted to make sure I had it exactly right.  Same
> thing.  I'm using
> CentOS-Userland-7-armv7hl-Minimal-1602-RaspberryPi3.img.xz  I tried
> taking a few pictures of the screen with a camera if it would be
> useful but it's probably not that hard to reproduce.  So I went
> straight to the mailing list archives.
>
> Also it's not recognizing the built-in wifi I think, but I haven't
> found it in dmesg.  It doesn't show in ifconfig.  In some other place
> I read something about the /root/README giving instructions on how to
> download firmware for it, but it's not in the README I've got.
>
> I run a static wired LAN that's not connected to the internet.  DHCP
> over wireless gets to a phone tether and that's the only way to the
> internet.
>
> I've never tried Centos before, used to run Redhat sometimes about 12
> years ago.  Mostly I use OpenBSD on i386, on my Pi I've also tried
> Raspbian, FreeBSD, NetBSD.

For wifi, I confirm that the following image
(http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/isos/armhfp/CentOS-Userland-7-armv7hl-Minimal-1603-RaspberryPi3.img.xz)
has the /root/README file.
It seems you're using a test image and not the one we released on
mirror.centos.org
If so, it would be better to use the one that was announced/released on
the official mirror.

FWIW, the following part is what's needed on the Rpi3 (and in the
/root/README file)

<quote>
For wifi on the rpi3, just proceed with those steps :

curl --location
https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware-nonfree/raw/54bab3d6a6d43239c71d26464e6e10e5067ffea7/brcm80211/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin
> /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin

curl --location
https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware-nonfree/raw/54bab3d6a6d43239c71d26464e6e10e5067ffea7/brcm80211/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt
> /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt

systemctl reboot

</quote>

gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab