[Arm-dev] Raspberry Pi3 kernel (Was: Wrong permissions on /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts)

GalaxyMaster gm.outside+arm-dev at gmail.com
Sun May 22 02:36:50 UTC 2016

Fabian,

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 10:05 PM, Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org> wrote:
> On 21/05/16 09:57, (GalaxyMaster) wrote:
> I guess we can rebuild the kernel by changing the initial patch then.

Yes, this is exactly what I did to confirm that SELinux is indeed usable.

> I also had a quick look at the rpi kernel source tree and it seems they
> rebased to 4.4.x so wondering if that's not a good time to also bump to
> that release.

Yes, they made the rpi-4.4.y branch to be their main branch.  I also
compared the difference between rpi and kernel.org branches and the
effort required to backport this to the current CentOS7 upstream
kernel.  Although it is not huge (around 10MB of patches) it would
require a week of my time to do so and I don't have a week right now.
So I guess I'm fine with using rpi-* as upstream for now.

Additionally, I looked at the spec file for the kernel we are building
and it's a bit dirty (e.g. it does some post-install tweaking and
creates files which are not tracked by the package management).
I am going to create a kernel package with the latest kernel from
rpi-4.4.y with a cleaner spec file.
Will share a link to my GitHub repository once it's done.

> To answer your question about el7 default : it doesn't support armhfp by
> default (as there is no upstream EL7 kernel for this) , and even el7
> aarch64 deviates from the 3.10.0 kernel.

I am fully aware of how RedHat maintains their stable kernel trees and
of their backport strategy.  What I meant was that if we want to be as
close as possible to CentOS7 we should have taken the upstream package
from EL7 and applied the armhfp support on top of it.  Anyway, as I
mentioned above, it's a full week work and I don't have enough time to
do it right now.

> That's also the reason why we call the armhfp release "CentOS 7
> userland", because kernel differs from the CentOS 7 x86_64 (see
> https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch/Arm32#head-447eb2193fd92db5a65be9cae5a6f95c3546605b)

Thanks for the link (once we rebuild Pi3 kernel with the adjusted
value we could update SELinux status on that page).

--
(GM)