[Arm-dev] WiFi firmware

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Mon May 23 13:04:37 UTC 2016

On 22/05/16 15:48, (GalaxyMaster) wrote:
> All,
>
> Is there a reason why the firmware binary for the WiFi driver is not
> included into the kernel-firmware package?  The reason I'm asking is
> that initially I thought there is a licensing issue, but I've checked
> the license and there are no issues there.  Also the same license
> covers the following binary we are installing:
> ===
> [root at centos-rpi3 ~]# ls -l /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 488193 Nov 20  2015
> /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin
> [root at centos-rpi3 ~]# rpm -qf /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin
> linux-firmware-20150904-43.git6ebf5d5.el7.noarch
> [root at centos-rpi3 ~]#
> ===
>
> I'll try to update the linux-firmware repository
> [http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/brcm]
> with the firmware for our chip, however, I guess it would be quite a
> long process, so I suggest to temporarily build a sub-package (say,
> linux-firmware-brcmfmac43430) out of our kernel SRPM, so users would
> get WiFi out of the box.  What do you think?

So long story short : I was adviced to ask support from Legal dept about
that specific broadcom firmware and I've been asked to wait for review.
In the mean time we've just given the instructions for uses to do it
themselves. In parallel we also have a .spec for a .rpm ready to to for
that firmware

gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab