[Arm-dev] CentOS 7 interface name "eth0" causes network start/restart/stop issue

Lomovtsev, Vadim

Vadim.Lomovtsev at caviumnetworks.com
Wed Nov 30 13:37:25 UTC 2016

Hi all,

After installing 7.2 with mostly default options I've found that I got ifcfg-eth0 file at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ but I haven't seen it while do system configuration installation phase amongs the others.
Then after system start the "systemctl restart network" command always fails to start/restart/start network service with following error:

  Nov 30 13:30:34 c7-altarch-test network[1235]: Bringing up interface eth0:  Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for this connection.

Possible options is to disable it from NM control and from on-boot start by editing ifcfg-eth0 file after installation or use kernel options to not use new naming.

Could we somewhow remove this from system deployment by default and let user decide whenever to enable/disable this later or even at installation phase?
Becase currently I got new names for my ethernet interfaces (three of them actually) and one for old scheme which causes service management issue.

WBR,
Vadim