[Arm-dev] CentOS 7 interface name "eth0" causes network start/restart/stop issue

Christopher Covington cov at codeaurora.org
Wed Nov 30 20:25:51 UTC 2016

On 11/30/2016 11:01 AM, Jim Perrin wrote:
> On 11/30/2016 07:37 AM, Lomovtsev, Vadim wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After installing 7.2 with mostly default options I've found that I
>> got ifcfg-eth0 file at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ but I
>> haven't seen it while do system configuration installation phase
>> amongs the others. Then after system start the "systemctl restart
>> network" command always fails to start/restart/start network
>> service with following error:
>>
>>   Nov 30 13:30:34 c7-altarch-test network[1235]: Bringing up interface eth0:  Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for this connection.
>>

> I don't see this beavior on the aarch64 systems I have available.
>

>> Possible options is to disable it from NM control and from on-boot
>> start by editing ifcfg-eth0 file after installation or use kernel
>> options to not use new naming.
>>
>> Could we somewhow remove this from system deployment by default and
>> let user decide whenever to enable/disable this later or even at
>> installation phase? Becase currently I got new names for my
>> ethernet interfaces (three of them actually) and one for old scheme
>> which causes service management issue.
>
> NetworkManager is the default, and we want to keep things as close to
> the x86_64 version as possible for basic use and operation. It would
> probably be helpful to track down why it might be changing or unavailable.
>
> Which kernel are you using?
> What names are you getting for the interfaces?
> Is there anything different about the old interface config vs the new?
> (Is the mac address different, etc)

I recall seeing a USB ethernet dongle be called eth0 instead of a
systemd style predictable name [1]. But the name didn't change, it
was always eth0, and I didn't have any trouble using nmcli with it.

1. https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

Regards,
Cov

--
Qualcomm Datacenter Technologies, Inc. as an affiliate of Qualcomm
Technologies, Inc. Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. is a member of the Code