[Arm-dev] supported 64bit hardware

Gordan Bobic gordan at redsleeve.org
Sun Sep 18 16:53:49 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-18 16:13, Jim Perrin wrote:
> On 09/18/2016 03:46 AM, Nick Hardiman wrote:
>> Which 64 bit consumer-size board is the easiest to work with now?
>
> Most of the consumer boards have very odd idiosyncrasies that often
> mean
> trouble. For example the hikey works just fine with the uefi firmware,
> but the partitioning established by default means that the EFI boot
> partition is /boot, instead of the more common (standard) /boot/efi.
> Most of the other 64bit boards rely on uboot or other bootloaders that
> are problematic to support. The more recent uboots have a uefi
> emulation
> that we might be able to take advantage of *if* the boards support
> upstream uefi and not their own custom forks.

Which is kind of ironic considering that nearly all ARM devices use
u-boot. Unfortunately, most use a proprietary hack job of u-boot with
no sources, and u-boot generally never gets updated, so even in this
day and age many of those u-boots only understand FAT.

Even more ironically, UEFI by spec only supports FAT.

And with custom UEFI forks, it's u-boot all over again. :-(