[Arm-dev] supported 64bit hardware

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 18:17:12 UTC 2016

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at redsleeve.org> wrote:
> On 2016-09-18 18:55, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>>>
>>> I want to buy a few small ARMv8 boards to run CentOS on. Seems like a
>>> reasonable idea to offload simple services onto simple boards. Is this page
>>> still accurate?
>>> https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch/AArch64
>>>

>> There are four small ARMv8 dev-boards I am aware. I have all of them
>> for testing software. They are:
>>
>> * LeMaker HiKey (Aarch64, ASIMD, CRC, Crypto)
>> * Pine64 (Aarch64, ASIMD, CRC, Crypto)
>> * ODROID-C2 (Aarch64, ASIMD, CRC)
>> * Raspberry Pi-3 (Armhf (not even Aarch32))
>
> Wait - what's aarch32?

32-bit execution state on 64-bit ARM processors. A32 instruction set,
trust zones, supervisor mode, new ABI/procedure calling conventions
(APCS), etc.

Frame pointers and layout are completely different. Also see
https://community.arm.com/docs/DOC-8453 . I tired to do a post-mortem
on the RPI3 after enabling ARMv8 for the CRC. It was an exercise in
futility. Also see "Recover frame pointer for broken back trace?",
http://stackoverflow.com/q/38798592 .

Jeff