[Arm-dev] Kernel ?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Aug 31 22:30:57 UTC 2017

On 08/31/2017 10:09 AM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On 31/08/17 14:34, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>> On 08/22/2017 03:36 PM, Michael Schumacher wrote:
>>>    Nicolas,

>>> looks like you ran into the problem with a too small /boot partition.
>>> I had that problem too. Increasing the size of the /boot partition to
>>> about 10G solves the problem. This is a problem of the Centos
>>> installation image. I believe Robert had the same issue.
>> Catching up.  Was off on another project, writing a guide to build an
>> ECDSA PKI....
>>
>> Yes, I hit the out of space.
>>
>> What we need is for someone to fix the update-boot script to rip out old
>> kernels.  We are use to this with the mainline platforms.  We should get
>> it here.  Also Fedora-arm has it...
>>
>> Bob
>>
> Welcome to OSS ! "submit patch" [TM] :-)

To do that I would have to:

Know what files are related to a kernel
Know how to identify the oldest kernel, or rather which kernels are the
older of N kernels.
Know how to, in a script, parameterize the selection of a kernel and all
its files

And I come up empty on all the above.  I can write simple scripts, and
Professor Goggle is good at giving me short lessons to, at times, expand
my horizons.

But this is not something I am going to tackle.  I will just put up with
things as they are.

> WRT larger /boot partition, that's fixable in the templates used by the
> tool that will generate new images, but of course that will not fix the
> issue for people using previous images.

And, for the most part, when I lay down an image on a HD, I use gparted
on my notebook to expand both the root and the boot partitions.  For
some reason, on ONE system I did not increase the boot partition...

Bob