[Arm-dev] Kernel ?

Thu Aug 31 23:50:12 UTC 2017
Jacco Ligthart <jacco at redsleeve.org>

On 09/01/17 00:30, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> On 08/31/2017 10:09 AM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:

>>> Catching up.  Was off on another project, writing a guide to build an
>>> ECDSA PKI....
>>>
>>> Yes, I hit the out of space.
>>>
>>> What we need is for someone to fix the update-boot script to rip out
>>> old
>>> kernels.  We are use to this with the mainline platforms.  We should
>>> get
>>> it here.  Also Fedora-arm has it...
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>
>> Welcome to OSS ! "submit patch" [TM] :-)
>
> To do that I would have to:
>
> Know what files are related to a kernel
> Know how to identify the oldest kernel, or rather which kernels are
> the older of N kernels.
> Know how to, in a script, parameterize the selection of a kernel and
> all its files
>
> And I come up empty on all the above.  I can write simple scripts, and
> Professor Goggle is good at giving me short lessons to, at times,
> expand my horizons.
>
> But this is not something I am going to tackle.  I will just put up
> with things as they are.

I guess it is a bit easier than that, we have a package manager for this!

find the installed kernel packages and remove the ones you don't want
any more. If you always want only x kernels installed, have a look at
"installonly_limit" in yum.conf

Not sure which kernel we're talking about, but if this is the raspberry
rpm, there used to be a 'post' script in the rpm what makes a initrd
file after install. these initrd things are not used during boot (on a
raspberry at least). Removing those will also save you ~ 25M per kernel
version.
better yet, adjust the spec file to not make them :)

Jacco