[Arm-dev] kernel-generic vs kernel-rpi2

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at rvx.is
Mon Dec 4 11:07:03 UTC 2017

> Both repositories are following now the 4.9.x LTS branch, but :
> - kernel generic is built from vanilla/upstream kernel from kernel.org ,
> so works on all boards supported "upstream"
> - rpi2 kernel is the one built from https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux
> (that also rebase from upstream LTS but with their patches added in for
> the rpi2/rpi3)

Lucky that the RPi seems to run, without the specific patches from the
foundation.

>  BTW, we never had any image for rpi2/rpi3 that was using the
> kernel-generic repo

Weird.  I installed in in mid july when I saw it, and downloaded from here
http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/isos/armhfp/.
Something must have gotten screwed up, the CentOS-armhpf-kernel.repo is
dated from sept 1st.

I'll just swap the baseurl around, update and hope for the best :)

--
Kv,
Kristján Valur Jónsson, RVX