[Arm-dev] kernel-generic vs kernel-rpi2

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at rvx.is
Thu Dec 7 15:49:01 UTC 2017

On 7 December 2017 at 15:22, Michael Schumacher <michael.schumacher at pamas.de
> wrote:

> Hi Kristján,
>
> Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 4:05:15 PM, you wrote:
>
> KVJ> Another thing I noticed is that the config.txt supplied by the CenOS
> distro sets
> KVJ> arm_freq=700
> KVJ> This is disasterous if you are running an RPI3 :)  Here is the
> KVJ> setup I'm using for my little RPI3 Samba Domain controllers:
>
> could you please elaborate on the arm_freq issue?

Sure.  This setting controls the maximum kernel frequency that the governor
will use.
However, it overrides the default, which for RPi3 is 1200MHz. In effect, it
is throttling the RPi3 to have the same maximum cpu frequency as a RPi1.
See https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Overclocking for
details on the settings.
It is best to leave the config.txt as bare as possible, only overriding
system defaults if there is a reason to.

--
Kv,
Kristján Valur Jónsson, RVX