[Arm-dev] kernel-generic vs kernel-rpi2

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Fri Dec 8 12:36:36 UTC 2017

On 07/12/17 16:49, Kristján Valur Jónsson wrote:

> On 7 December 2017 at 15:22, Michael Schumacher
> <michael.schumacher at pamas.de <mailto:michael.schumacher at pamas.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Kristján,
>
>     Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 4:05:15 PM, you wrote:
>
>     KVJ> Another thing I noticed is that the config.txt supplied by the
>     CenOS distro sets
>     KVJ> arm_freq=700
>     KVJ> This is disasterous if you are running an RPI3 :)  Here is the
>     KVJ> setup I'm using for my little RPI3 Samba Domain controllers:
>
>     could you please elaborate on the arm_freq issue?
>

> Sure.  This setting controls the maximum kernel frequency that the
> governor will use.
> However, it overrides the default, which for RPi3 is 1200MHz. In effect,
> it is throttling the RPi3 to have the same maximum cpu frequency as a RPi1.
> See https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Overclocking for
> details on the settings.
> It is best to leave the config.txt as bare as possible, only overriding
> system defaults if there is a reason to.

Thanks for the pointer.
When I built the rpi3 image, I used the existing rpi2 image we had,
including the config.txt that was used.

From that wiki page, it seems that we're really under what both the
pi2/p3 can support, including default values.
Maybe we should at least bump this to "default" values (so not
overclocking).
So arm_freq set to 900 for pi2 and 1200 for pi3

Opinions ?

gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab