[Arm-dev] Centos aarch64 on Raspberry PI 3

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Sun Jan 8 04:54:57 UTC 2017

> I thought the RPi3 is 32bit, not 64?
>
> See https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch/Arm32
>
> For what is working with RPI 3
I already have the 32 bit version running on the RPI 3. However, the RPI
3 is 64 bits. Here is the specification

<https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://hackadaycom.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/pispecs2.png&imgrefurl=http://hackaday.com/2016/02/28/introducing-the-raspberry-pi-3/&h=580&w=1116&tbnid=Jy9J_sr2BeagwM:&vet=1&tbnh=109&tbnw=211&docid=XePtcfF-lyDXzM&usg=__6zDhA6iUiypfs0pQZUzHxrOxd0w=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjam6qF2rHRAhXM4IMKHXj_D3IQ9QEIHjAA>
SOC BCM2837
CPU Quad Cortex A53 @ 1.2GHz
Instruction Set ARMv8-A
GPU 400MHz VideoCore IV
RAM 1GB SDRAM
Storage micro-SD
Ethernet 10/100
Wireless 802.11n/Bluetooth 4.0
Video Output HDMI/composite
Audio Output JDMI/Headphone
GPIO 40

The 1GB SDRAM does limit the usefulness but unless there is something
else that makes it impossible to run a 64 bit OS it should in principle
work.

I made an image on an SD Card per the readme but where I am spinning my
wheels is the line that says this:

  * You will need to add the appropriate boot information in a uefi entry
    after using this image, since the installer traditionally handles
    this.

I am not sure what I have to do to get the system to boot off the image
I created. I tried some very obvious stuff such as grabbing a
cmdline.txt and config.txt from the 32bit version. If I look at the
32bit version I see all this interesting stuff (e.g. bcm2708-rpi-b.dtb,
etc.) but there is no such stuff in the 64 bit boot directory on the
image. It seems lots of stuff might be missing? For example I suppose I
need 64 bit RPI3 firmware which might be unavailable?