[Arm-dev] RPI3 and Gnome

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Sun Jan 8 20:32:06 UTC 2017

> On 01/08/2017 02:40 AM, Paul R. Ganci wrote:
>> I am playing around with making a "desktop" workstation out of a
>> Raspberry PI3 using the armv7hl CentOS. I have had no problems
>> installing the OS and pretty much have everything working except a
>> Gnome desktop.
>>
>> I did:
>>
>> > yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop"
>
> Does any other desktop work, like Xfce?
No, too many missing dependencies to get any other desktop to install. I
tried both mate and Xfce.

The only error in the log is this one

  [  2665.952] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

But that error seems like it should not be fatal if software rendering
is possible. I tried to turn off DRI but then the RPI3 just locked up
completely... did not even have network connectivity to ssh in. The
VideocoreIV is too limited in its capabilities. I am just coming to the
conclusion that trying to get the RPI3 to work with CentOS as a desktop
is probably not doable.