[Arm-dev] Centos aarch64 on Raspberry PI 3

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 16:38:49 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Paul R. Ganci <ganci at nurdog.com> wrote:
> I received a Raspberry PI 3 for Christmas with which I am playing. I would
> like to install the aarch64 CentOS 1611. However I am finding very limited
> information on the web as how to go about doing that. Can somebody get me
> started on what I need to do in order to install CentOS 1611? Some initial
> questions.
>
> 1.) Can the aarch64 distribution even be installed on a Raspberry PI 3?
>
> 2.) If the answer to question 1 is yes, can somebody give me some
> instructions on how to proceed? Links to any quick start or installation
> guides would be appreciated.
>
> 3.) I have not been able to get X windows to start with the armv7hl CentOS
> version already installed. Will Gnome run on Raspberry PI 3 or is some other
> desktop graphics suggested?

Sorry about digging up an old thread....

Here's an interesting result from Stack Overflow. It concerned a RPI3
performance problem using the 32-bit armhf image. An Aarch64 image
supplied by openSUSE apparently fixed it:

* https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41956400/thread-performance-issues-for-java-on-raspberry-pi?#comment71101862_41956400

There's a lot of variables in the equation, but I suspect the
ARM-32/armhf image contributes a fair amount.

Jeff