[Arm-dev] To: Conversations around CentOS on ARM hardware <arm-dev at centos.org>

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jul 26 12:52:23 UTC 2017

On 07/26/2017 05:10 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 07/25/2017 09:18 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> The OP has this working.  He wants aarch64 which is not working yet, it
>> seems according to the aarch64 maintainer.
> Our aarch64 distro is built to install on machines that support
> uefi/grub2.  It is not really designed to run on uboot machines.  People
> have gotten it working on uboot setups, but each machine is unique to
> install and maintain that way.  With 4 or less GB of installed RAM, it
> is not worth the effort (IMHO) to try to make the aarch64 version run.

I am assuming you are saying that aarch64 will not work on a IPi3 unless
someone does the uboot work?

Not that I have any interest in ANY RPi.

> He also wants LDXE for the
>> GUI.  This is not built into the Minimal image.  You have to add it.
>> Somehow.
>>
> LXDE is not built by Fedora in EPEL, so it has never been built at all
> for CentOS by the CentOS team (that I know of).  There is xfce (as I
> said before), but I am not sure how well even that works.  Basically,
> CentOS for ARM32 is not really designed to run in Workstation, or even
> GUI, mode.  It is basically a CLI implementation for server type
> services .. although we strive to get as many packages, both from the
> CentOS-7 repo and EPEL 7 repo, as possible to build.

There has always been an LXDE build for Fedora-armhfp, see:

http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/25/Spins/armhfp/images/

And earlier releases, but not for Fedora-26?

http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/26/Spins/armhfp/images/

I see LXDE for the F27 beta on:

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/tasks?start=50&state=all&view=tree&method=appliance&order=-id

But I don't see any successful builds (at least a few days back), but
there are builds for Xfce there.

I tried LXDE during the F24 beta and did not like it.  I have been on
Xfce since F21-arm (or was it the special F18 build?  Old history,
anyway).  I use Xfce on my x64 notebook and get much longer battery
usage than I did with Gnome!

I should try putting Xfce on one of my Cubies with Centos7 just for the
'exercise'; won't be for a few weeks, as I have a LOT of post-IETF
work.  Just ask Paul Wouter, he ALSO has a fair bit of post IETF work...

The only Centos7 equiv that I have with a GUI is my ClearOS7 server with
Xfce.  It is on an Intel Nano platform...

Bob