[Arm-dev] Enabling by default our "Epel rebuild" repo by default on CentOS 7 armhfp

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Jul 31 12:24:45 UTC 2017

Fabian,

This is important; to do the extras you need for a lot of server
platforms.  I know nothing about twitter or irc; I am only an emailer
correspondent (or web forum when I am forced to).  It is kind of sad
that what should be the main for of user communication, is just not
used.  That said, you know that I struggled with the EPEL-arm7 (and I
feel that is what we should call it), as many of the rpms I needed did
build, but were not available from the repo. I had to download them,
then install locally.

But let's take this point by point.

On 07/29/2017 06:54 AM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> A trend I see either on twitter, or irc, or elsewhere is a complaint
> about Epel not available for CentOS 7 userland on armhfp.
>
> It's of course technically true (as there is nothing listed on the Epel
> wiki page itself) but we covered that FAQ in our wiki :
> https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch/Arm32#head-f2a772703b3caa90cc284e01bc87423ce9a87bcd

And I put one in my howto at:
http://www.htt-consult.com/Centos7-armv7.html#EPEL

I use a slightly different command:

cat <<EOF>/etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo || exit 1

> Unfortunately, it seems that people never read that wiki page.
>
> So I was just wondering if we could have our epel rebuild effort
> (https://armv7.dev.centos.org/repodir/epel-pass-1/) available directly
> for our armhfp users, without having them to do anything special.

That would be very nice.  One less thing to figure out.

> Now I'm wondering if we should just create a .repo (and coming from
> centos-userland-release) but have it disabled by default (imho) or even
> enable it by default (-1 on my side)

Disabled by default.  It is easy to tell people to enable what is there,
than explain how to add it.  And I suppose there are situations where
having it could cause issues?  I don't know enough to answer that one.

> Also, we should probably just rename it to something else than 'Epel' as
> we can't call that epel : it's a rebuild from Epel SRPMs but it's not Epel

EPEL-arm7  or EPEL-arm7hl

> Opinions, Thoughts ? please make hear your voice !
>
> PS : also trying to make some noise on twitter to bring back users not
> subscribed to the arm-dev list, or not hanging around in #centos-arm on
> irc.freenode.net

I make noise on the main Centos list where I occasionally see arm questions.

And can perhaps there be a pass-2 that has more in the repo instead of
having to search for the rpms separately?  See:

http://www.htt-consult.com/Centos7-mailserver.html#Installing%20Mail%20packages

Bob