[Arm-dev] Proposal regarding aarch64 images

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Mon Jul 31 14:45:09 UTC 2017

On 07/30/2017 11:01 PM, Jon Nettleton wrote:
> Now that SolidRun is ramping up our Armada 8040 line I have had more
> initiative to start testing various distros.  There is an active
> effort to bring full UEFI support to the 8040 platforms however this
> is still a WIP.  In the meantime I was looking into u-boot's efi
> loader and currently there is major hurdle with using this boot method
> on the CentOS images...the /boot partition is formatted as xfs.

I'm kind of excited about this board, so I'm interested in helping to
move this forward.

> Of course it would be easy enough to spin a new image with /boot
> formatted as ext4.  Is there any reason not to make  the default
> images use this configuration?  This would obviously be one less
> hurdle for using CentOS aarch64 on more platforms.

While I don't have much love for uboot support here, there isn't a real
reason for using xfs for /boot here beyond "it's the installer default".
When I bake the next image, I'll see about changing /boot to ext4.

--
Jim Perrin