[Arm-dev] Building CentOS7 userland for ARM64 server boards

Scott Branden scott.branden at broadcom.com
Thu Jun 29 16:58:48 UTC 2017

Hi Jim,

Yes, we wish to add support for new (currently CentOS unsupported) Arm64
SoCs.

Currently we have a Yocto based distribution that builds ATF (with
UEFI), Kernel+DTBs, Host tools+utilities (such as signing+flashing type
tools), RootFS, and RPMs.

I took the prebuilt CentOS Rootfs and it boots on our platform to the
shell.  So that is a great start.  But we use a different kernel
versions so I was thinking we need to rebuild against our kernel headers
to ensure 100% API compatibility.  Or, do you think that is not
necessary (we are working on 4.12 kernel right now)?

We also have kernel modules built inside and outside of the kernel tree
that need to be installed in lib/modules.  And firmware in
lib/firmware.  And we need to install our kernel headers for native
development on platform.  How should these be integrated with CentOS?

We also have RPMs built in Yocto that we would like to install - need to
learn mechanism of how to add new RPMs in CentOS.  One thing that may
need to be resolved is shared libraries?

Last item I can think of right now is recommended runtime method from
RPM install.  We use DNF server with Yocto Distribution.  We need to add
our RPMs to whatever CentOS uses.

So the answer to your question is yes we would like to add CentOS
support for our SoCs.

Thanks,

  Scott